Sunday, November 20, 2011

Week 8 - Common Core Webinar

Three things -

First - The idea of a webinar is great! Having access to so much is a great resource. I can see myself learning so much just by clicking and adjusting the  volume. And archives! Holy cow - talk about tailoring things to your own interest! Of course, you have to search a little and suffer through some klunkers, but in general, you could learn and use a lot.

Second - This webinar was about Common Core Standards. The history and progress of it was a little interesting. How soon its coming and how contentious it is, is alarming. The Smarter Balance test is coming to a classroom near you very soon. The problem is (again) politicians. They take good intentions and make it a power struggle - but I digress - maybe in another post...The presenters did a good job with some dry subject matter. Once again - 15 minutes of material crammed into an hour.

Third - Ok the kids are gone and I'm alone in my quiet classroom. Just as the webinar was about to start a parent walks in and asks if her club can use our room for a final meeting/celebration. What could I say? They are great kids and have every right to celebrate and needed a place. I thought it would be fine. Well, let's just say - the more you are able to focus, the better the experience will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment