Friday, September 30, 2011

Week 3 Blog 1 - Now that our evenings are freer...

That sound?...It is some heads rolling out of Fenway Park - at least I won't have to try to type and read/watch during playoff games... I like how Michael Wesch listed all those old axioms and shot them down one-by-one. We really need to change how learning is viewed. The genie is out of the bottle and nobody should want it back in. Experts who are good at memorizing facts should be grinding their teeth. Books and experts used to be sources of information. Now any bit can be accessed instantly. Amazing. My students (4 classes) haven't picked up a pencil in our class all week. We have been on computers every day. I am learning/experimenting with them on wikispaces. Take a look - http://frenchandindianwarwiki.wikispaces.com/ Interest is up, participation is up, a few are spending hours at home working on them, the quality is very high. As they view each other's pages, a funny thing happened. Some kids asked questions of others, looking for peer feed back. Some said, "That's great - I better step up and improve mine." Some gained prestige by teaching others what they had figured out. All said very worthwhile. I must not let the glitches bring me down. Actually, the kids are more patient with the "restarts" and "My whole page is gone!" headaches than me. I know there is another level. More collaboration - more transfer - more connections. Time (and experienced peers) will help me sort this out. I see the potential - Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great! From your description, the kids are very interested and invested in the new learning processes and by looking at your wiki page; it seems you are collaborating with a couple other teachers as well? Can your students see the content in the other teacher’s pages/visa versa? I think that would be interesting, it may almost invite students to learn additional subject matter just by clicking around on a classroom tool!

    Since the kids are communicating well and asking each other for advice, maybe a fun collaborative project might be to create a collection of tips sheets for organizing the wiki space. The students could share features and formatting tips and what they are especially beneficial for and include examples to add to the page. This would have value to the students as a group, and could be useful to you as well as you continue to use and develop this tool in future classes. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input - actually, the other teachers' names are the other homerooms on my team - so they are all "mine". I am playing with "projects", which seems to be the natural way to have kids work in groups on something.
    I am starting to get serious about thinking about possibility of considering...
    having the kids record different kinds of assignments that they are good at and building an archive on jings and audioboos with the student experts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! This makes me have a warm heart! Have you tried wiki's before this class? As I was reading over your post, I saw the peer feedback. Feel free to have the kids use the discussion tab on each page if they want to ask each other questions. That is a forum type place to go back and forth. It is a great way to give and receive feedback. It is also wonderful to teach students how to comment properly. Try grammar girls commenting (google that phrase) and have the kids listen to her podcast. That will help. Love the kids work. So fun to see it in action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and ps. yes.. sorry the Red Sox lost, I still can't get over it myself and my husband keeps telling me to let it go!!

    ReplyDelete