Sunday, September 18, 2011

Web 2.0 Week 2 - "I hate paper!"

Twenty-two years ago my classroom computer didn't have enough memory use to a dot-matrix printer. I had to save my documents to a floppy disk and find someone with a "super computer".The internet and  email hadn't made it to Belmont, New Hampshire. Tomorrow one of my classes will Skyping with a historian in New York about the French and Indian War on our Smart Board. How's that for time travel?

A few of us from our school braved the slippery weather last winter to attend a conference by Heidi Hayes Jacobs. It was eye-opening to say the least. Her presentation was well structured, while full of glimpses of her personality. She is so knowledgeable and her passion for school reform came through clearly every moment.

There were three take-aways that came home with me -
First, Heidi said, "I hate paper!" She thinks it is unnecessary and wasteful. It makes sense (for districts that are closer to the cutting edge of technology). Almost everything on paper can be used electronically. Before the conference I had a 2-drawer cabinet, a 3-drawer, and a dozen or so binders full of paper. All the papers were sent to the recycler.They are all saved electronically now.
Second, according to analysis of curricula around the country, we are preparing our students to be successful in 1985. Yikes! My lesson/unit that I will prepare for this class will totally ignore the Soc St standards of our district (and I'm the Soc St chair for our school). Gotta do what's right for the kids.
Lastly, my kids are given more choices to show what they know. When we do have independent projects, the kids can choose to make a prezi or website. I am always looking to add choices that involve technology.

Looking forward to the collaboration and learning!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures of the kids and how they "show what they know"!!! That is so great and lends it self to the super popular teachings of project based learning. I know what you mean about a dot matrix printer and a floppy disk. It is crazy in such a short time we have come so far. No wonder why everyone is leery of the changes we are experiencing in education with technology. I do not think that technology is a phase though. I do think it is here to stay so why not jump on the train to where ever it is taking us! Happy to see you embrace it!

    ReplyDelete