Saturday, October 22, 2011

Week 5 Blog 1 - Finally, It's Clear...except for all the stuff in the way

Chapter 3 in our book made it even clearer where we should be going. The internet as the platform is transformational. It opens up a whole box of possibilities and problems that we have discussed to death.



I remember when these were cutting edge. You mean, you can get them in colors!?! But label them so you won't have to go through each one...
I actually had one for each kid in my one computer(non-internet) class.







Then the web came and you could get ideas from places like this!
How dated is this website?

Today  is fast-forwarded to the future. Now there is so much technology, so permeated in the world that sometimes it feels like the wild west to an old-timer, like me. You can't bring that in here! Check it at the door.

Now things are coming into focus. I can envision a classroom buzzing with activity. Some students in the hall rehearsing and/or recording vlogs, videos, podcasts, etc. One group discussing/planning a current text. Another group online blogging or commenting on a blog post. Maybe some actually reading and writing, old school style. I see myself walking about after a brief mini-lesson and organizing/focusing moment.
The video below is a little tedious, but opened my eyes to some LA possibilities I hadn't considered.


"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the prize"

Should I start small or jump all in?

2 comments:

  1. Jump all in...by all means!

    I don't think "old school style" will go away all together. Students need to be able to complete work by "writing by hand" (even though I tend to type anything I can LOL) and understanding that not all work can be done online (at least not yet.)
    It is amazing at how quickly things change in the digital world. Buy a "new" computer and it is outdated in 6 months. New technology is going to continue to be added and adjusted and we, as the judge, need to determine how it works for us in the classroom.
    I used polleverywhere.com for the first time today with my Algebra class. I asked them questions based on the work they did on Thursday/Friday while I was at the conference to see if they really had an understanding. They LOVED it! Most of the students in my class had a cell phone and were able to text in their answers. Some didn't and were able to use other student's phones (or mine) to be able to send in their answers (open ended questions only to use other phones, otherwise it only allows one vote for multiple choice). It was the same material I needed to cover (their understanding of the concepts) but just done in a different format.
    I really think that we (as a staff) need to have a discussion about changes to our policies...I want my students to be able to bring their cell phones to class. I shouldn't have to say "Go get the cell phone you are not supposed to have."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say jump! :) There are always people somewhere that can catch you to offer assistance and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete